Nothing says the holidays quite like a creamy, sweet peppermint cocktail with a candy cane rim, am I right? Let me tell you, nothing will make you want to invite a bunch of friends over to trim the tree and watch National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation on repeat than this Peppermint White Russian, a festive drink made with peppermint schnapps, creamy coffee liqueur and milk.
Of course, you don’t have to wait until the holidays are in full swing to enjoy it if you feel like indulging in a dessert drink this weekend.
What I love about this cocktail:
- It’s an after-dinner drink and dessert in one. If you typically pass up after dinner-drinks for dessert, with this cocktail you don’t have to! It so decadent and sweet, one sip and I’m willing to bet you’ll look right past by that plate of Christmas cookies without batting an eyelash.
- You only need one. I’m not saying your Uncle Eddie won’t request a refill, but really it’s boozy enough that one is plenty. My mom just happened to be around on recipe development day and, after taste-testing a few different variations, we had a legit two person party in my kitchen — as legit as a two-person party can be. She also now thinks I have the best job in the world, which is actually true.
- It’s made with wholesome milk. A boozy treat made with a naturally nutrient-rich ingredient? I’ll take it!
- The recipe is super simple. Whether you like it stirred or shaken, it’s just three ingredients: milk (which you’ve probably already got in the refrigerator), coffee liqueur and peppermint schnapps. No zesting, no muddling. Just combine and serve cold.
- It can be made ahead of time. This one is HUGE, particularly if you’re hosting a holiday party. Simply mix up a big pitcher the morning before your guests arrive and store it in the refrigerator until dessert time rolls around! If you really want to build excitement among your guests, you can even dust the rim of your glasses with peppermint candy ahead of time and put them out on a tray. Added bonus – they double as holiday décor!
Rocks glass or martini glass — this drink works both ways. Serve it over ice or shake it, strain it and enjoy it straight up. Whatever you do don’t forget the festive candy cane-coated rim. It adds as much flavor to this drink as it does festive flare.Print
Simple, sweet and strong — this Peppermint White Russian is holiday party perfection in a glass. Of course, enjoy responsibly, and be sure to keep close tabs on your Uncle Eddie.
- 1/2 piece peppermint candy, crushed (for glass rim)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 ounces coffee liqueur
- 1 1/2 ounces peppermint schnapps
- Using your forefinger and thumb, slightly dampen the rim of a chilled glass with water. Press the rim into crushed peppermint candy and then chill the glass in the fridge or freezer.
- Combine milk, coffee liqueur and peppermint schnapps in a cocktail shaker. Shake two times and strain over additional ice, if desired.
Don’t over-shake or you’ll end up with a glassful of foam!
- Serving Size: 1 white russian
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 27 g
- Sodium: 84 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg
Keywords: peppermint white russian
A special thanks to the National Milk Life Campaign for sponsoring this delicious recipe. For more nutritious recipes, head on over to MilkLife.com or connect with them on social via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.