The best ever healthy no-added-sugar banana bread is bursting with natural sweetness, banana flavor and is made with no refined sugar, just healthy, real food ingredients. It’s also dairy-free and has just 154 calories and 5 grams of sugar per slice. Enjoy it plain or add some mix-ins: walnuts, pecans, raisins, or my favorite, chocolate chips!
- 2 cups mashed bananas (from 6–7 medium overripe bananas, see notes)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (or other neutral-flavored oil of choice)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla or banana extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 9×5 bread pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the bananas, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla . Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, transfer to a wire rack and cool another 20 minutes before slicing.
Recipe Update (9/8/19): After testing this recipe again, it’s not necessary to roast fresh bananas if they are very overripe. The best bananas for this recipe are heavily speckled and/or are nearly all black. I also reduced the amount of flour from 2 cups to 1 3/4 cup and found it is slightly sweeter and bakes a few minutes faster.
- Bananas: You must use overripe bananas as these have more fructose, and thus more natural sugar, than non-overripe bananas.
- Coconut oil: Avocado oil also works well with this recipe.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe (~3 ounce slice)
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 166 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: no added sugar banana bread