Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast

Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast1

Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast4

I’ve always struggled to find the time for both coffee and breakfast in the morning. When I do, one of my go-tos is homemade granola, vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit because, well, it’s quick, convenient, and yummy.

Now, I’m not totally dissing the sweet stuff, but lately I’ve realized this combo actually contains a fair amount of sugar, especially when a vanilla latte is added to the equation.

And let’s be honest, a vanilla latte is very rarely not in the equation these days. It’s probably a good thing that my espresso machine didn’t come with a triple shot option.

To cut back on the amount of sugar and increase the protein I take in every morning, I recently added eggs to my weekday breakfast rotation.

This, my friends, is my newest obsession: the poached egg + crispy prosciutto avocado toast.

Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast2

Fancy, right?

Something this beautiful and delicious really shouldn’t be this simple, but it is. Poached eggs are actually quick and easy to cook but pre-crisping several slices of prosciutto ahead of time literally makes this a 7-minute meal, which is kind of perfect if you’ve got somewhere to be in the morning. Working girls, students, moms & dads: I’m talking to you.

Nutrition-wise, this breakfast is well-balanced. It’ll satisfy both your tastebuds and your growling stomach. Eggs provide high-quality protein––actually the highest quality protein found in any food––along with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which play a role in things like weight management, muscle strength, brain function and eye health.

In addition to the protein, avocado offers a dose of healthy fats and the whole grain bread provides a serving of complex carbohydrates, which also happens to be perfect for soaking up that beautiful, runny yolk. The crispy prosciutto gives this healthy breakfast sandwich the perfect amount of crunch and salty goodness that will make you want to add this to your regular breakfast rotation.

Oh and did I mention this breakfast has not one gram of added sugar?

None. Zero. Zilch.

Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast3

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully give up my morning lattes but I’ll admit, I’m totally in favor of cutting back on added sugars at breakfast as long as this is involved before I head off to work.

Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast 5

This delicious post is part of a series sponsored by The American Egg Board and The Good Egg Project. Bon appetit!

11 Comments on Poached Egg + Crispy Prosciutto Avocado Toast

1. Shae R
    August 22, 2014 at 11:45 am (4 weeks ago)

These look so delicious, and I just so happen to have all of the ingredients in my fridge!

2. zerrin
    August 16, 2014 at 2:21 pm (1 month ago)

This is just my type of breakfast or lunch or just a snack! Your photos are cruelly tempting! YUM! Pinning!

3. sosmallsostrong
    August 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm (1 month ago)

AAAH I’m obsessed with eggs! This looks so delicious… crispy prosciutto is always the perfect salt component to that runny egg. YUM!

4. Aukele
    August 15, 2014 at 3:59 pm (1 month ago)

I like to squeeze a little lime and sprinkle seasoning salt on my avo and then just top with a sliced up boiled egg (not a fan of runny yolk); but the prosciutto would be a nice change!

5. Lauren Moe (@laurenpeters)
    August 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm (1 month ago)

I love avocado and egg on toast, but I have never run across prosciutto that doesn’t have a lot of fat in it. Yours looks pretty lean though. Yumm.

• Elle
      August 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm (1 month ago)

That’s why I love my butcher. Whatever fat was there though mostly melted off in the oven. :)

6. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West
    August 15, 2014 at 10:15 am (1 month ago)

Love this! I usually go for sweet in the morning with overnight oats, but eggs are always a good choice. They really are sooo healthy with natural protein. And the yolk is good for you too of course, I always tell my clients not to be scared of the yolk. I’ve got to be honest, I’ve never poached an egg! Have you gone to any more classes via ClassPass? I have, and they’ve all been pretty good! Happy Friday!

• Elle
      August 15, 2014 at 11:03 am (1 month ago)

Hi Ashley! I love the yolk too. :) I haven’t been to another ClassPass but let’s get one on the calendar! Happy Friday too!

7. Linda @ thefitty.com
    August 15, 2014 at 6:39 am (1 month ago)

I’ll skip the toast and just have the avocado rolled up in prosciutto :)

• Elle
      August 15, 2014 at 11:04 am (1 month ago)

That’ll work too :)