Welcome to ATE

Nutritionella blog rebrand according to elle1

Good morning, friends! Long time no see. Okay, that’s totally my fault–but guess what? The new blog is officially live!

When I started this process back in January I knew it was going to be a big project. Then I hired not one but two developers who weren’t experienced enough to do the job correctly which made it a whole lot bigger. After three long weeks I was already out a few hundred dollars and had practically nothing to show for it besides a seriously messed up looking blog.

Thankfully Cassie of the beautiful Back to Her Roots, introduced me to her a-mazing developer. Just when I was ready to abort the rebrand altogether, Joe welcomed me and my messed up looking blog with open arms and, as you can see, completely turned the project around.

I’ll save the woes of rebranding for another post though. Let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?

Here’s what’s new!

1. A new name, logo & URL. That’s a lot to change at once so for this first version I decided to stick with a similar color scheme and blog header that resembles nutritionella. Deep down I secretly want to be a black and white blog kinda girl but I think for now this will do. At least until my blog funds have been replenished.

2. A modern theme. It’s still clean and pretty but now ATE is also mobile-friendly!

3. New fonts. I chose the fashion magazine-inspired Didot font for all post headlines and clean & simple Helvetica Neue for mostly everything else.

4. A wider post column for bigger and brighter photos. Also, cleaner social sharing buttons beneath posts and a custom Pin It button that appears on all post images.

5. An updated Partnership page & a place to welcome new readers. My About and FAQs page are next in line for an update.

6. Gallery-style category pages, like this one. This addition was deeply inspired by one of my all-time favorite blogs. I’ve spent countless hours scouring Elsie & Emma’s blog over the past year or so and think they’re a great way to showcase the best any blog has to offer. Don’t mind the white spaces… we’ll be filling the gaps in the upcoming months!

7. A beautiful new recipe page. Complete with toggle functions for text and photo views.

8. A jazzed up sidebar. I added some new buttons and a tabbed “recipe box” of sorts for browsing the blog.

9. New topics. I’ve added a DESIGN & DIY page which will cover everything from Home Decor and DIY to Blogging & Photography. I’ve also added a couple of new lifestyle-esque categories I think you’ll enjoy. Again, I know they’re a bit bare now but there’s lots in store!

10. Updated social profiles. I’m officially @ellepennerRD on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest and the blog page is now According to Elle on Facebook.

11. New blog subscription channels. For those of you who would like ATE delivered to your email inbox, please just type in your email address in the Email tab to the right.

For those of you who follow Nutritionella on Bloglovin and/or Feedly, I’d love for you to add ATE to your list!

Follow ATE on Bloglovin              Follow ATE on Feedly

I’m hoping to have both Bloglovin’ accounts merged eventually but was told my Feedly followers will just be redirected to the new feed. If it’s not too much of a bother, I’d love your support in grow these two brand new channels!

And last but not certainly not least, 2 big things you can’t see.

12. Two years of archived posts. A lot has changed since I wrote my very first blog post back in 2010. My photography skills have improved and my recipes have gotten better–mostly because now I only post the really, really good ones. I also write about fashion and home decor, and use a lot less exclamation points in my sentences than I did back then.

I wanted the new blog to represent the blogger I am today, not the newbie I was 3 years ago. Don’t worry, there’s still a solid 14 months of posts for you to scour through. The others have been archived in my private blogging journal.

13. A better hosting solution. My previous hosting shituation was, well, exactly that. Each page on the old blog took 11-12 seconds to load. In real-world speak, that’s like driving 25 miles per hour in the fast lane on the highway. Not cool.

Given how much it’s grown, I decided a well-functioning blog was worth the investment so we moved my blog off of Bluehost. The result? A page that loads in about 3 seconds flat. You may not notice the difference but it’s kind of amazing so… you’re welcome. :)

What do you think? Feel free to poke around and let me know what you like or would like to see different. Also, if I write a few posts on blog rebranding posts, is there anything in particular you’re interested in hearing about?

33 Comments on Welcome to ATE

1. Amalia
    March 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm (6 months ago)

I love it!!!! I am honestly so excited to see it and know it has all come together for you –> can’t wait to see when you get it exactly where you want it (after the blog funds are replenished of course). I just got back from vacation so I’m really happy to see that your blog is all new and fresh! I love it!

2. Dietitian Jess
    March 13, 2014 at 8:47 am (6 months ago)

Congrats! Everything looks great and I can’t wait to explore more!!

3. Theodora
    March 12, 2014 at 12:31 pm (6 months ago)

Looks gorgeous, just like you! :)

• Elle Penner
      March 13, 2014 at 3:20 am (6 months ago)

Aw, thanks darling! ;)

4. Alisia
    March 12, 2014 at 7:56 am (6 months ago)

Your blog looks adorable! I cannot get over all of the amazing changes. New Year, New Look! Love it :)

5. Cecilia @ MommiesRun
    March 11, 2014 at 10:55 pm (6 months ago)

Wow! It looks amazing! I followed nutritionella on bloglovin and it appears as though it automatically switched over to ATE. I was confused at first when I saw it in my side bar. Awesome job!

• Elle Penner
      March 13, 2014 at 3:20 am (6 months ago)

Glad you like it – and awesome about Bloglovin’! :)

6. Carly @ Fine Fit Day
    March 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm (6 months ago)

Elle, it looks great! I love the acronym, the layout is so clean and stylish, and I like the new categorizing system. I just spent a while navigating around – such a good sign when you get kind of ‘lost’ in a blog.

Oh, and looks like Bloglovin recognized the change – i didn’t have to follow again. :)

Congrats!

7. Kate @ Coffee with Kate
    March 11, 2014 at 9:20 pm (6 months ago)

Your design is stunning! I love the minimalism and simplicity. It’s beautiful.

• Elle Penner
      March 13, 2014 at 3:22 am (6 months ago)

I’m so glad! Minimal was the goal!

8. Traci
    March 11, 2014 at 8:44 pm (6 months ago)

I think you have used #11 twice–but I also think everything looks great!

9. Chelsea
    March 11, 2014 at 8:08 pm (6 months ago)

Love the new blog!

10. Mary
    March 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm (6 months ago)

I love the new site! It’s beautifully laid out and so easy to navigate. You’ve done a wonderful job! However, as a couple of others have posted, the font color is hard to read and it would be a good thing to have it darker to avoid eyestrain. Other than that, job well done! Congratulations!

11. Cassie
    March 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm (6 months ago)

It looks BEAUTIFUL, and I’m so happy working with Joe ended up being such a great experience for you! He’s awesome.

12. Helen
    March 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm (6 months ago)

Elle, your blog looks great! I love it. Congratulations!

13. Anne
    March 11, 2014 at 2:06 pm (6 months ago)

All the work you put into it definitely shows through. Just my two cents but I agree with Amy above that if the font were a smidge darker it would be a bit easier to read. But overall, LOVE!

14. Tara
    March 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm (6 months ago)

Elle, everything looks fantastic! So happy for you, although I cannot even imagine the amount of hours this must have took. It was all worth it at the end, I’d say!

• elle
      March 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks, Tara! So glad you like it. I still can’t believe we’ve both SF gals and have not yet met up. Let’s grab a coffee or a glass of wine soon?

15. Amy @ Long Drive Journey
    March 11, 2014 at 11:56 am (6 months ago)

It looks great! I’m normally a silent reader, but I had to pop in and tell you how excited I am for you! I’ve thought about rebranding myself, so I’ve been curiously waiting to see if you’d do it and how it would turn out!

• Amy @ Long Drive Journey
      March 11, 2014 at 11:58 am (6 months ago)

I just reread this and the ONLY thing is that the body text is a little bit hard to read. I think it’s because the font is minimal so with the light grey, I found myself squinting in a way that I didn’t do on the other blog. Maybe darkening the text color a little would help? It’s not a deal breaker by any means, but was definitely something I noticed!

• elle
        March 11, 2014 at 12:27 pm (6 months ago)

You mean it’s not just my tired eyes? ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback, Amy! Glad you like it overall. Now that I know it’s not just me I definitely think I’ll be tweaking the color so there’s just a bit more contrast. xo

16. Lindsay
    March 11, 2014 at 11:28 am (6 months ago)

The blog looks fantastic! The layout is super clean and easy to use/read/navigate. Congrats to you and your new little home domain :)

• elle
      March 11, 2014 at 11:48 am (6 months ago)

Thanks, Lindsay! Choosing fonts is so hard. I struggled with whether or not this one was easy to read. Glad you think so!

• elle
      March 11, 2014 at 11:49 am (6 months ago)

Thanks, Amanda! :)

• elle
      March 11, 2014 at 11:50 am (6 months ago)

I’m so glad! They’re definitely one of my favorite features of the new site too. Thanks so much for following along, Dana!

17. Joe
    March 11, 2014 at 10:18 am (6 months ago)

I’m so glad your blog is finally ready to go and you’re so pleased with it! It looks wonderful :)

18. Stacy
    March 11, 2014 at 10:08 am (6 months ago)

Elle, it looks SO GOOD! It’s fresh and new but still feels familiar. Well done! I can’t wait to check out all of those new pages, and am excited to see what’s in store! Congrats on starting a new chapter!