pumpkin-herb quinoa

Pumpkin quinoa with thyme2

Pumpkin quinoa with thyme3

I seriously hope the government shutdown doesn’t lead to some sort of a national pumpkin shortage. For all we know, pumpkin plant inspectors everywhere have been sitting at home unable to go to work for the past 9 days! Could you imagine? I mean, what would we blog about for the next two months? I don’t know about you but I’m going to grab myself a few extra cans of pumpkin puree for myself this weekend just in case. And by a few I clearly mean like 10.

On a slightly more serious note though, I’m struggling to decide if this delicious pumpkin-herb quinoa is an entree, or a side. I’ve eaten it straight out of the pan–as I do most of the recipes I make for quality assurance purposes–alongside a piece of juicy, grilled chicken, and piled on top of a bowl of baby greens with a few dried cranberries or dinner.

Pumpkin quinoa  thyme3

Entree, side–I suppose it doesn’t really matter, does it? It’s sweet and savory, protein-packed and rich in Vitamin A and iron. Serve it up as a side or mix it into a salad and enjoy it any way you like.

Pumpkin quinoa with thyme1

Or, do what I did and eat a quarter of the pan while hovering over the stove. It’s really a win-win any way you spoon it.

PS. Try these pumpkin pie bran muffins for dessert

17 Comments on pumpkin-herb quinoa

1. Heather
    December 3, 2013 at 4:56 pm (11 months ago)

This was so delicious! First time ever using quinoa and it was a great way to get introduced to it. Loved adding dried cranberries. I added a little drizzle of maple syrup too. I will definitely be making this again!

2. olivewineandfood
    November 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm (12 months ago)

yummm i just made this but added spinach, omitted brown sugar and added garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder, and topped with goat cheese! so good

• elle | nutritionella
      November 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm (12 months ago)

Nice twist! Glad it was a hit :)

3. Hillary
    October 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm (1 year ago)

pumpkin quinoa — that’s creative! :)

4. AngelaEatSpinRunRepeat
    October 11, 2013 at 6:43 pm (1 year ago)

Ooh this sounds fabulous! I’m pinning it to my pumpkin Pinterest board right now. I totally agree with you on the pumpkin shortage thing. Up here in Canada, we don’t have the shutdown to worry about but I’ve found it much more difficult than usual to track down canned pumpkin this year! Luckily one of the grocery stores nearby just started making their own store-brand kind which tastes just like the name brands, so I’ve stocked up!

• elle | nutritionella
      October 12, 2013 at 11:55 am (1 year ago)

I need to be following your pumpkin Pinterest board, pronto! Glad you’ve stocked up on pumpkin – it’d be a tragedy to run out!

5. Erin @ The Grass Skirt Blog
    October 10, 2013 at 8:39 pm (1 year ago)

This looks so incredible. I just pinned it and plan to make it very soon!

The Grass Skirt Blog

• elle | nutritionella
      October 12, 2013 at 11:55 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for pinning – hope you enjoy it!

6. Erin Higginbotham
    October 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm (1 year ago)

This sounds amazing, can’t wait to try

7. mollytics
    October 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm (1 year ago)

If I wanted to use agave nectar or something different to add sweetness without using brown sugar – do you have a suggestion? I know it’s just a tablespoon, so I’m not really worried about it. Also – is there a nutrional value that makes brown sugar better than regular old white sugar? #curious Thanks!

• elle | nutritionella
      October 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm (1 year ago)

I think honey or agave would both be good, too! Brown sugar is just white sugar + molasses and I think it works well with these savory & sweet dishes. Molasses can be high in iron but I don’t think the amount in brown sugar is of any notable value.

• mollytics
        October 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm (1 year ago)

Gotcha. Thanks for the speedy reply. PS – i made the goat cheese/butternut squash sandwhich the other night and O.M.G. So good.

• elle | nutritionella
          October 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm (1 year ago)

Right???!!! So glad you tried it!

8. Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm (1 year ago)

4 ingredients?? Heck yes, girl. This looks BOMB!

9. Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    October 10, 2013 at 10:43 am (1 year ago)

Yummy! I made a pumpkin rice and it was so creamy and delicious. Sounds great with quinoa too

• elle | nutritionella
      October 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm (1 year ago)

Pumpkin rice sounds delish too!