food confessions of a registered dietitian

Food confessions of a registered dietitian edited 1

1. There’s a container of sea salt brownies in my desk drawer at work. At all times.
  2. It’s nearly impossible for me to enjoy a sandwich without kettle-cooked sea salt & vinegar chips.
  3. I cook with real butter. Give me natural, saturated fats over processed, partially-hydrogenated margarine spreads any day.
  4. I almost never substitute salad for french fries. My husband does though, all the time, and inevitably gets french fry envy and tries to steal mine. Get your own, darling!
  5. I always order steak in my burritos. Light rice, heavy on the black beans please!
  6. Veggie crudite does nothing for me. I prefer my broccoli roasted and celery with buffalo wings.
  7. I own a Fry Daddy and yes, I use it.
  8. I was once a Sweet & Low addict and drank diet soda by the 2-liter jug. Only recently did I give up diet foods & drinks completely.
  9. I take my coffee with 2 sugars and at least a few tablespoons of half & half -though I’d prefer it be heavy cream. Milk just leaves me wanting something more.

What food confessions do you have?

PS. How I weaned off the sweeteners and officially kicked the habit.

Photo credit: brownies // chips // french fries // butter // burrito // crudite // half & half

41 Comments on food confessions of a registered dietitian

1. sri lanka luxury travel
    July 21, 2014 at 11:46 pm (2 months ago)

I’m not positive where you are getting your information,
    however good topic. I needs to spend a while studying much more or figuring out more.
    Thank you for wonderful info I was in search of this information for my mission.

2. google adwords tool
    June 19, 2014 at 5:17 pm (3 months ago)

Nice post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am
    inspired! Very helpful information specially the ultimate section :)
    I maintain such information much. I was looking for this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thanks and good luck.

3. joelle (on a pink typewriter)
    June 15, 2013 at 8:03 am (1 year ago)

I am a lover of Splenda, but I’ve wanted to try and wean off it for years… just haven’t quite gotten to it yet. And Pirate’s Booty puffed corn is one of my very favorite snack foods – if I didn’t think my pants would be unable to button, I’d happily eat a bag of the stuff every day. ;-)

4. Khushboo
    June 15, 2013 at 12:51 am (1 year ago)

I adore this post, Elle! Some of my confessions:

I eat chocolate daily
    Some of my meals don’t include protein
    I love buttering my toast
    Ice cream is my key reason for never considering veganism

Have a great weekend!

5. Taylor
    June 14, 2013 at 6:39 pm (1 year ago)

I have similar confessions! I like using real fat (butter and half and half) and real sugar. The fake things just don’t make the cut!

6. Amy
    June 14, 2013 at 2:38 pm (1 year ago)

I loveeee this post so much! Thank you for being so honest and totally REAL. I cannot go a day without a spoonful of peanut butter… addicted!

7. Angela (@AMG413)
    June 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm (1 year ago)

I eat a crazy crazy amount of red seedless grapes daily!
    Also..Fat Free Redi Whip – need a little fix of it daily

8. Monica
    June 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm (1 year ago)

Yay! Finally a blogger/RD that is human!

9. Bryanna Gondeiro
    June 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm (1 year ago)

I love chocolate and have to have a piece of dark chocolate every night before bed. I used to be so rigid with my eating, too rigid, that it probably wasn’t fun for others to be around me. Now I have relaxed a little and I enjoy indulging at times. I also have a weakness for coconut bliss ice cream. It’s so amazingly good, and I love cadbury eggs!!

10. Jennifer L
    June 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm (1 year ago)

Love this! It’s nice to know even a registered dietitian has the same pitfalls I do ;)

11. Danielle
    June 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm (1 year ago)

I will always love fast food and definitely will continue to indulge every now and again!

12. Hannah
    June 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm (1 year ago)

Love this post! I could eat ice cream for every meal.

13. dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    June 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm (1 year ago)

anything chocolate related is always around me – at home or my desk. I used to fall for all these fat free stuff but now I am looking for ways to substitute healthier option or go easy on real butter. Veggie platter does nothing to be either besides carrots every now and then.

14. Alyssa
    June 13, 2013 at 11:18 am (1 year ago)

I love these. As healthy as we try to be, we all have those weaknesses!
    1. I’m STILL addicted to Splenda
    2. I can rarely go to sleep without having a spoonful of icecream

15. Lisa
    June 13, 2013 at 11:12 am (1 year ago)

I eat chocolate every day. It may only be a little bit some days, but I must have it!

16. Jenni
    June 13, 2013 at 11:09 am (1 year ago)

Hahahaha, so happy to hear other healthy people have interesting diet choices sometimes as well. I have a stash of chocolate covered almonds in my pantry and, like Maryz, never get dressing on the side. Lol, my mom (of all people) has been begging me to do a food confessions post, you may have given me the courage to finally listen to her ;)
    Love you blog, Ella. Thank you!

17. Alina @ Keep Smiling and Love Life
    June 13, 2013 at 11:04 am (1 year ago)

Almond butter (by the spoonful!), nuts, greek yogurt, granola!
    It never ends but I’ve been doing better by limiting portions ^^;

18. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog
    June 13, 2013 at 11:00 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for pointing out that no one is perfect and the beauty of a good relationship with food is allowing for indulgences every once in awhile. On my list of “can’t-resist” are ice cream, sea salt & vinegar chips and anything BBQ!

19. Brittney
    June 13, 2013 at 10:48 am (1 year ago)

Cookies upon Cookies
    Chocolate
    Nutella
    SWEETS :)

I’m trying to learn how to eat these things in MODERATION but sometimes it just doesn’t work!

20. Becca
    June 13, 2013 at 10:47 am (1 year ago)

LOVE this post. So refreshing to see this honesty coming from a healthy living blogger! My food confessions would be:

Anything salted caramel. Gelato, cake, brownies, you name it, I must order it.
    Trader Joe’s sunflower butter. By the spoonful.
    Chocolate covered pretzels or anything salty/sweet for that matter.
    Swedish fish.

21. Alyssa Mazzella
    June 13, 2013 at 10:29 am (1 year ago)

Love this post. Moderation right?

1. I love a small piece of chocolate after I eat

2. I only offer to make my husband an ice cream cone so I can take a bite :-)

22. Michele
    June 13, 2013 at 10:25 am (1 year ago)

I’ve only recently “found” you, Elle, and send a heartfelt thank you for your day brightening posts. You have such style and grace! Your writing is personal and of interest without being self-centered ( such as photos of you at every run) which is completely endearing and charming. Please remember to post your sweet potato lentil stew when time allows some day. And in the meantime know that you have a faithful reader who delights in your ideas and thoughts. You inspire me althouh I am twenty years your senior:). All best to you!

• elle
      June 13, 2013 at 10:31 am (1 year ago)

Thank you, Michelle! Your kind words made me smile this morning. I posted the stew recipe yesterday – take a peek and enjoy it!

23. Maryz
    June 13, 2013 at 10:05 am (1 year ago)

1. I always cook with real butter and only have the tub of stuff from spreading on toast.
    2. Always have chocolate in the house.
    3.I recently gave up all diet stuff too. I was addicted to diet coke FOREVER! And found it very hard to give up.
    4. Always order fries over salad.
    5. Never get dressing on the side…salad mixed in with dressing is just so much better!

Thanks for sharing!

24. Erin H
    June 13, 2013 at 9:58 am (1 year ago)

I have been following you for a long time, and very rarely comment. I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE this!!! I love that you embody a healthy AND realistic lifestyle – it is SO refreshing!

My food confession? Cheese. It’s cheese. I tried to swear off the dairy goodness, but have recently let it back in….I’ve been known to make several rounds at the whole foods cheese samples. Sorry I’m not sorry :)

25. Charlie @therunnerbeans
    June 13, 2013 at 9:55 am (1 year ago)

Today is the first day that I’ve read your blog, and I LOVE this post!!! Thanks for being honest and showing that even RD’s don’t eat kale and quinoa all the time!! Real butter all the way!

26. Maureen
    June 13, 2013 at 9:43 am (1 year ago)

1. I rarely turn down chocolate.
    2. I will always opt for real butter over margarine.

27. Anele @ Success Along the Weigh
    June 13, 2013 at 9:41 am (1 year ago)

Oh you’re stronger than I am having those brownies in your drawer. I’d be curled up in a corner with an empty box, crumbs on my face, hissing at people!

I use the pink stuff but I just decided an hour ago that I’m going to experiment and give up my tea for awhile and just go straight water (which I HATE) with my meals. I usually got 30 oz of tea between all of my meals and then 2 full 36 oz water bottles full of water. I’m going to cut out the tea and add one more bottle of water and pray my teeth don’t float!

28. Laura
    June 13, 2013 at 9:15 am (1 year ago)

Peanut butter filled chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joes. Nom nom nom.

29. Natalie
    June 13, 2013 at 9:07 am (1 year ago)

Number 4!! I adore French fries and those side salads are always so sad.

30. AJ
    June 13, 2013 at 9:00 am (1 year ago)

Interesting confessions! My vice is needing something sweet with every meal…whether its a tiny piece of chocolate or some fruit.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

31. Katie
    June 13, 2013 at 7:24 am (1 year ago)

Number THREE!… Give me the real stuff
    Ice cream
    Iced coffee. End of story
    Spoonfuls of nut butter

32. Amalia
    June 13, 2013 at 1:54 am (1 year ago)

Nachos.
    Late night snacking.
    Dark chocolate.
    Anything that ends in latte.

33. Jane | Not Plain So Jane
    June 13, 2013 at 1:10 am (1 year ago)

Love all of these. Especially #3. Using the real thing is just way better tasting! I’m working on #8. I’ve got it cut out except for the Diet Coke.