veggie quinoa chocolate chili

Quinoa chili4

Chocolate really does make everything better – even chili. I realized this quite accidentally while on a road trip to Phoenix last month with my friend Libby. Since then, I’ve made this chili twice and, I am ashamed to say it, but I never shared the recipe. Terrible, I know… but the truth is this chili has gotten me through a very busy couple of months. My mom called me today to report she inherited a bag of quinoa from the neighbors (who doesn’t like quinoa?) and couldn’t find this recipe on the blog’s new recipe page. Well, now you know why. All I can say is good things come to those who wait… Nagging a little helps too, though.

Quinoa chili3

Quinoa chili2

If you’ve never put chocolate in your chili, I dare you to try. If your tastebuds are anything like mine -small and pink- they’ll never want chili any other way.

20 Comments on veggie quinoa chocolate chili

1. em
    January 8, 2014 at 9:11 am (4 months ago)

would this be good in the slow cooker?

2. Leslie
    November 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm (5 months ago)

Sounds delicious. But at what point do you add the bell peppers listed among the ingredients?

• Think about it...
      November 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm (5 months ago)

I’d personally throw them in with the onion. (that’s normally what I do with other recipes.) Can’t wait to try this recipe.

• elle | nutritionella
      November 22, 2013 at 2:58 am (5 months ago)

With the onion, like @disqus_k:disqus I’ll update the recipe – thanks for catching that!

3. Esteban and Joanell
    March 24, 2013 at 2:18 am (1 year ago)

Oh my goodness!!!! This is the second one of your recipes I have tried. When I first told my wife about it, she had plenty of reservations. “Quinoa? Chocolate? Blech!” she said. Tonight, however, she couldn’t stop raving about how hearty, life-giving, and delicious this dish is. Thank you so much for sharing such goodness. I look forward to continuing to read your recipes.

Respectfully,
    Esteban

4. Willemijn
    March 1, 2013 at 4:55 am (1 year ago)

My babysister made these quark chilipepper brownies last week and it tased way better than I’d expected. So I’ll definitialy try this recipy as well! Hot and chocolate is just so briljantly tastefull!

5. Deryn @ runningonrealfood.com
    February 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm (1 year ago)

Mmmm! Love chocolate in chili, also you should give coffee a try! My last batch had chocolate, chili powder and coffee and it was awesome, the flavours got even better over a few days of leftovers.

6. Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete
    February 21, 2013 at 11:38 am (1 year ago)

I’m going to have to take your word for it about adding chocolate to chili! haha I actually on recently started eating it, and it’s such a nice comfort food :) I guess, in that regard, it would make sense for chocolate and chili to go together!

7. Karen
    February 20, 2013 at 8:19 pm (1 year ago)

Not a big fan of the “sweeter” veggies like butternut squash. Just replace it with another veggie of my choosing or some ground turkey, right? I MUST try this. Just made chili the other night too!

8. Becky @ Olives n Wine
    February 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm (1 year ago)

I LOVE quinoa chili but have never actually tried chocolate in a main course recipe before! This is an awesome idea :)

9. Alicia
    February 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm (1 year ago)

This looks SO good. My boyfriend is a chili addict, but I have to avoid it because of beans + digestive issues. This seems like a great alternative…. looking forward to trying it :)

10. Anna @ Tough Lipstick
    February 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm (1 year ago)

I love chocolate and I love quinoa. I MUST try this out. Thanks for sharing!

• elle
      February 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm (1 year ago)

Love your blog, Anna! Subscribing to it now :) Thanks for saying hi!

11. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog
    February 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm (1 year ago)

Chocolate is such an interesting twist on a regular chili recipe. I would have never thought to do this. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

12. Kristi @ lifesprinkles
    February 20, 2013 at 9:46 am (1 year ago)

I loooove this!! I love the use of chocolate in savory dishes. Ok, let’s face it, I just like an excuse to add chocolate to any meal. ;)

13. Anele @ Success Along the Weigh
    February 20, 2013 at 9:25 am (1 year ago)

OH.MY!!! I am soooo making this! I think we’ve got at least 2 more months of “soup/chili weather” ahead.

14. Ang @ Nutty for Life
    February 20, 2013 at 8:35 am (1 year ago)

This recipe is definitely going on my “to cook” list. I’ve been meaning to try adding cocoa powder to chili because I’ve heard great things.

15. Katie @ Blonde Ambition
    February 20, 2013 at 1:36 am (1 year ago)

Two Peas & Their Pod inspired me to put quinoa in my chili too :) My favorite secret ingredient to put in my chili is usually beer, but chocolate sounds waaaay more fun!