butternut squash mac & cheese

I truly believe there are some dishes that just shouldn’t be messed with. Cheesecake and mac & cheese are at the top of that list.

Butternut squash mac  cheese6

But I will admit, the fact that there’s three-quarters of butternut squash in this mac & cheese makes eating a quarter of the pan while hovering over the stove with a fork feel less wrong – even at 10AM with a cup of coffee. I speak from experience as this is precisely what happened in my kitchen yesterday morning. I will also admit  I completely forgot I was eating a vegetable.

I’ve seen recipes for butternut squash mac all over Pinterest and decided to give this one a try. After thoroughly analyzing the adorable Kelly‘s photos for texture, I decided to add extra squash, broth and Greek yogurt for a touch more creaminess.

Butternut squash mac  cheese1

Butternut squash mac  cheese2

Over the years I’ve grown to prefer my mac & cheese without breadcrumbs sprinkled on top – no offense Mom, yours was delicious every time. Instead, I sprinkled a cup of White Cheddar over the entire pan and popped it under the broiler for the last few minutes.  Three-cheese anything tastes better than two-cheese – am I right?

Butternut squash mac  cheese3

Butternut squash mac  cheese4

The best part about this dish? You completely forget you’re eating a vegetable – which is just how eating mac & cheese should be.

Have you ever added veggies to your mac & cheese? I might never go back to the regular unhealthy stuff.

26 Comments on butternut squash mac & cheese

1. Cassie
    September 29, 2013 at 10:09 pm (12 months ago)

This looks like a much safer way to enjoy mac n cheese… I have Halloween shaped noodles from Whole Foods to use, I’m going to try this next week! xo thanks for the recipe!

• elle | nutritionella
      October 2, 2013 at 3:02 am (12 months ago)

Halloween shaped noodles? Sounds like something I need in my kitchen!

2. Maddy
    May 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, that seriously looks awesome. I love mac and cheese, butternut squash, and white cheddar entirely too much. I wish I weren’t a poor college kid with none of these ingredients. :(

3. Liz
    April 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm (1 year ago)

I am eating this right now! It turned out very well. I added sage,chopped sun dried tomatoes and broccoli. The cheese on top adds great flavor. I can’t wait to make this for my vegetarian son when he comes home! Thanks!

4. Laura
    January 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm (2 years ago)

Just made a smaller version of this with a few minor alterations due to what was available in my fridge…and proceeded to eat 1/4th of it with a fork standing over my stove while I was waiting for my Brussels sprouts to roast! Looks like a 2 course dinner tonight :)

5. Katie
    January 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm (2 years ago)

Just made this and added a cup of spinach.
    Omg, so good!

6. Kristi @ lifesprinkles
    January 26, 2013 at 9:30 am (2 years ago)

I used to fill my bowl half-broccoli and half-mac and cheese to make it healthier but I like this version much better! I adore butternut squash and I’m sure it contributes more to the flavor than plain old broccoli. ;)

7. Alicia @ NeverEverBeenSkinny
    January 26, 2013 at 12:13 am (2 years ago)

This is going on my list of things to try. I really didn’t like spaghetti squash but I think this one I might actually like!

8. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog
    January 25, 2013 at 11:30 am (2 years ago)

Oh yum! Can’t wait to try this. I made mac and cheese with sweet potato once and it was creamy and delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love the addition of the white cheddar topping – nice touch!

9. Regan @ The Professional Palate
    January 25, 2013 at 5:44 am (2 years ago)

I’m not sure that I can get to the store fast enough to buy the ingredients for this one. UH-MAZING looking :)

10. Ilyn @ Real Food, Feel Good
    January 25, 2013 at 12:47 am (2 years ago)

Oh my goodness I am drooling!! This sounds so amazingly delicious. I’ve tried broccoli in my mac and cheese and loved it. But squash? Sounds a million times better!

11. Joelle (on a pink typewriter)
    January 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm (2 years ago)

This looks fan-freakin-tastic. I’d totally hover over the stove to eat this at 10am, too.

12. Katie @ Blonde Ambition
    January 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

Uhhh YUM! I was about to frown when you said you didn’t add a breadcrumb topping, but when I saw what you added instead – a crunchy CHEESY topping – all was forgiven. Because the crunch is what it’s all about, right??

13. Lindsay
    January 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm (2 years ago)

Mac n cheese is my ultimate comfort food craving. I love that it’s loaded with squash. Then I don’t feel QUITE as guilty :)

14. Becky @ Olives n Wine
    January 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm (2 years ago)

Mmmm… I love butternut squash in anything! Do you have a recommendation for a cheese to use to sub for Gruyere?

15. Dixya
    January 24, 2013 at 11:54 am (2 years ago)

I could def eat this for lunch breakfast and dinner. So Creamy and I would def love veggies

16. Courtney
    January 24, 2013 at 10:08 am (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you posted this!! It looks delicious and I will definitely be trying ASAP :)

17. Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers)
    January 24, 2013 at 9:57 am (2 years ago)

I love that you still put cheese in it. :) I made a vegan version once, but then I later made one with a little bit of freshly grated parm added, and the parm version was lots more interesting. Yum!

• elle
      January 24, 2013 at 10:47 am (2 years ago)

I couldn’t ever leave the cheese out of mac & cheese. :) Parm is my all-time favorite!

18. elle
    March 9, 2013 at 6:39 am (2 years ago)

I love that! Glad you and your wife enjoyed it :)