elle, mph!

After 3 years of prerequisites, 2 1/2 years of grad school, 3 different internships, insane amounts of studying, a few tears and a lot of laughs, I officially have earned my Master’s of Public Health in Nutrition from UNC!

Photo 3

My parents and in-laws-to-be drove long and far to attend my thesis presentation and graduation last week – and with them was my hubs-to-be!  Friday evening the faculty hosted a special graduation ceremony for our class where we received our RD pins, a tradition of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that is worn at special times throughout our professional careers as Registered Dietitians. It just so happened that my thesis advisor and most favorite professor, Amanda, pinned mine on me. I’ll never forget it!

Photo 1

After graduation, the girls and I had one last epic dinner together – only this time we invited our families (sadly, mine got cut out of the photo, boo) which means we omitted the impromptu dance party this time.

Graduation1 edited

Lauren, our missing piece, is pursuing her Master’s in Georgia and couldn’t be with us to celebrate but sent along a little gift for each of us to open together at dinner.

Graduation elle3

Inside was a book of ridiculously funny group emails and quotes that she sneakily collected over the past 2 1/2 years. As you can probably tell, this is pretty funny stuff we’re talking here. I die a little every time I see this photo and read a page of our little book. (Thank you SO much, Kort!!!)

Graduation elle4

It was wonderful  to be surrounded by all of the girls, my family, in-laws and hubs-to-be the past few days. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so proud of my accomplishments and so loved before!

Graduation elle  rob1

Now all that’s left is to do is study for and pass the RD exam. Luckily though, there’s a lot of paperwork that needs to be processed before I can sign up for – which means I’m off the hook for studying over the next few weeks.

What fun things did you get into this weekend?

PS. More on nutrition, a career change & grad school, my clinical internship, the most stressful and one of the most memorable times of the past 2 1/2 years.

26 Comments on elle, mph!

1. Jen
    December 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, and CONGRATS!

2. Katrine
    December 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm (1 year ago)

Congratulations!! I’ve loved following you on this great journey! The pictures show so much emotion-love them! Enjoy this special time!

3. meghan @ little girl in the big world
    December 4, 2012 at 10:52 am (1 year ago)

HUGE Congratulations to you Elle. What an amazing accomplishment after all your commitment and hard work. That book and group of girls looks like a lot of fun!

• elle
      December 4, 2012 at 10:44 am (1 year ago)

You are so cute! This is a perfect thing to do on vacation – which starts Thursday! :) Thanks so much for the nomination – I’m honored!

4. Kristi @ lifesprinkles
    December 4, 2012 at 3:07 am (1 year ago)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You must be so happy and proud of your accomplishments. Take time now to enjoy it and soak it all in! :)

LOVE the outfit!

5. Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete
    December 3, 2012 at 11:59 am (1 year ago)

Congratulations, Elle!! That is so exciting/amazing :) You should be so proud!

I’m contemplating going back to school to become a RD. So I’m so glad to have stumbled across your blog this past month, and can’t wait to go back and read your posts about your career change & path to here :)

6. Karla @ myhighonlife
    December 3, 2012 at 11:52 am (1 year ago)

CONGRATULATIONS! What an accomplishment after such hard work :)

And you looked soo fashionable and pretty doing it!!!

• elle
      December 4, 2012 at 10:49 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Karla!

7. Silvia @ skinny jeans food
    December 3, 2012 at 10:54 am (1 year ago)

Did you wear sparkly high-heels to your graduation?! My kind of grad student!!

Congrats!

• elle
      December 4, 2012 at 10:49 am (1 year ago)

They’re snakeskin – not sparkly – but that would have been cute too!

8. Caitlin
    December 3, 2012 at 10:37 am (1 year ago)

CONGRATS and what a sassy outfit you are wearing! Love the heels, tights, and peplum top combo. Your coat too! Your man looks spiffy in the scarf as well. OK enough fashion, back to the important stuff. This is so huge! Great job, I know it’s been a long journey, and that gift of the quotes and convos is SUCH a cute and meaningful idea. A priceless present!

• elle
      December 4, 2012 at 10:50 am (1 year ago)

Thanks! That top was the best purchase of the past month – only $30 from Zara! :) I’ll tell Rob you like his scarf. It makes me think of that gross Zebra striped gum every time he wears it!

9. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog
    December 3, 2012 at 10:05 am (1 year ago)

Congrats!!!! How exciting! I’m currently looking into MPH programs and your story/success is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

10. Anne P.
    December 3, 2012 at 9:43 am (1 year ago)

So proud of us all!!!

And miss you already. xo

• elle
      December 4, 2012 at 10:51 am (1 year ago)

I can’t believe it’s over. Come baaaaaaaaaack! xoxo

11. Anne
    December 3, 2012 at 7:49 am (1 year ago)

Congratulations, that is so exciting!!!!!

12. Erica { EricaDHouse.com }
    December 3, 2012 at 6:40 am (1 year ago)

What an incredibly sweet gift you all received!
    Congrats on finishing – I’m *sure* you’ll do fine on your exam!

13. Lauren
    December 3, 2012 at 6:24 am (1 year ago)

Nothing like a good cry and smile to start the morning. This post is so full of love and happiness, and it is contagious to all of your readers! I know i’ll be smiling all day and proudly showing off pics to great gran.
    What an accomplishment! Elle MPH, RD, LD sounds oh so right!!!

14. Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run
    December 3, 2012 at 1:05 am (1 year ago)

A HUGE congratulations, Elle!!! I’ve heard it’s a LOT of work to get to where you are!

PS: LOVE your outfit. :D

15. Lauren @ Sassy Molassy
    December 3, 2012 at 12:54 am (1 year ago)

Congrats, Elle! That pic of you gals busting up over the photo/memory books is awesome.