mango mouth

Yesterday was a sad, sad day for me.  After 3 days of an insanely itchy face and lips (on top of recovering from a cold, mind you) I came to the conclusion that I’m allergic to one of my most favorite fruits!

IMG 6936 thumb

I’ve written quite a few blog posts involving the mango, like how-to slice and dice mango, mango in grilled cheese, quesadillas, and cottage cheese, just to name a few.

IMG 6951 thumb

Heck, I love them so much I even made my own Mango Cheesecake recipe!

IMG 6134 thumb

Well, my love died a little bit yesterday morning when, after what felt like Google search #2,643, and reading this blog post I realized that the allergic reaction I’ve been experiencing the past few days is courtesy of the mango… more specifically the mango peel.

Apparently mango is in the same botanical family as poison ivy. The peel and sap from mango contain the same oil, urushiol, that causes a similar autoimmune response caused by its 3 shiny-leafed relative. It’s commonly referred to as mango mouth (go on, laugh) and is fairly common in people who are highly sensitive to poison ivy, moi included.

I found a couple photos (here, here & a more severe case here) for those interested in seeing what this reaction may look like.  The first two are pretty mild cases from what I saw but similar to what I experienced.  The skin around the mouth gets dry, flaky, itchy, bumpy and actually weeps like poison ivy. I can tell you that the itching and burning feels 10x worse than it looks.

From what I understand (and according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology), I can still eat mango as long as I steer clear of the peel and sap.  This also means not eating the fruit out of the skin like I regretfully did this past weekend. FAIL. Wearing rubber gloves or having a friend slice up the mango might be the way to go in the future but I think I’ll avoid them entirely for a little while. I’m still slightly scarred from this experience.

IMG_6947_thumb

After a quick trip to the doctor yesterday, I’m feeling and looking much better thanks to a little tube of steroid ointment that looks no different than my favorite shiny lip gloss. I was able to determine my sensitivity to mango by reading other blog posts and photos and hope this post can help others in the future!

Have you ever heard of this sensitivity to mango peel before?

You may also like

55 Comments on mango mouth

1. Tucky
    April 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm (2 days ago)

I should have listened to my girlfriend last night! I was cutting mangoes and I sucked on the seed part and she warned me not to. I refused and did it anyways -_-

I woke up feeling like my upper lip was dry almost chapped. I thought maybe it was the weather. So I looked at my lip again and noticed little rash which reminded me of an allergic reaction I had to artichoke recently couple weeks ago that just finally got better! Now I have to deal with this all because I just had to suck on the seed part.At least this allergic reaction is not as bad as the artichoke incident but still even when I knew I shouldn’t have, all i can do is regret it and never do it again! Now im even afraid of making a making mango smoothie – I use to get allergic reaction to peaches too . I guess I can only fruits now through a straw.

2. Maria
    April 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm (6 days ago)

I knew it! This is the 3rd time in my life where I’ve had a reaction around the mouth after eating a mango like an apple. I had been eating frozen sliced mango for years so I never really knew it was truly related. Thanks for posting, great to know its just an allergic reaction – now I know it’s just the skin. I would die if I couldn’t eat the fruit anymore!

3. ptr
    April 16, 2014 at 12:54 am (1 week ago)

god, why?

before i had never really eaten mangoes. few days ago i too ate mangos that I had bought from whole foods. stay away from mangos! god must have made joke on us to make such tasty fruits have this thorny skin.. .. ow ow ow.. i hope my lips will heal soon from this rash caused by these mangoss…

• ptr
      April 21, 2014 at 1:21 am (3 days ago)

update #2:
      I was wrong – no thorns on the skin.. just something called uroshol oil (same as in poison ivy – as others noted here)…
      I ate 3 mangos like an apple (eating much of the skin too!!) about 8 days ago. I had a lot of swelling on my lips, and above and beneath my lips, and also in my mouth- also headache!! But now after 8 days I feel no discomfort anymore, and on surface of skin/lips there is dry white/yellowish mango-ish flakes coming to surface. I think this will go away completely in 6-7 days. I haven’t had to use any medication – I just waited, and took 1 day off work. I would recommend to anyone who has as bad a case of this as I had, to take off 8-9 days!

4. Athena
    March 17, 2014 at 10:51 am (1 month ago)

OMG! I have been going through this terrible reaction on my mouth mostly but also some on my cheeks, chin, near the sides of my nose, behind my ears and back of my neck. These are all of the areas that I have had poison ivy in the recent past so I thought that is what it was. It wasn’t until this morning that my friend told me that she found on the internet the info. about Mango Mouth. I have been having this reaction for almost 6 weeks. Yes, some people get it for a few days, but if you are a person who gets poison ivy by looking at it…beware. I have eaten mangos all my life and lived in the tropics where they are prevalent and never had any reaction to them. Unfortunately, as you age your immunity to these types of things can weaken and I had a case of poison ivy 6 months ago that went systemic (into my bloodstream) and I believe that triggered all of the other allergic reactions that I may be having or about to get soon. The most incredible thing is…I DID NOT eat a fresh mango. I ate mango yogurt and every day I drink a small glass of Orange.Peach.Mango juice to wash down my vitamins. Well…let me tell you, as with many of the other comments below, I thought I had poison ivy, then maybe herpes, or possibly shingles. I have never had anything like this before not even a cold sore my whole life. I also read that some nuts also contain this allergin. Please people reading this, be careful about what you think you are not allergic to. Until it happens the first time you just never know. I eat a lot of raw nuts and fruit being a vegetarian, and never have I had this kind of reaction. I now know that it was the very bad reaction to poison ivy that I had last summer that completely CHANGED my immunity to these other things. I don’t take medications or chemicals. I used Burts Bees Hand Sauve to reduce the dryness and oozing. It worked for awhile but then I discovered Burts Bees Diaper Rash Ointment. It has a very high level of Zinc Oxide in it which completely dried up the rash in days after 6 weeks of misery. I also used Rhus Tox Homeopathic which is specifically for rashes and poison ivy. Wonderful. But the whole time I was treating myself I didn’t realize I was reacting over and over to the mango juice and yogurt that I was eating. I thank god for my friend who did the research and found this article about mango allergies. I am so afraid of another reaction I will not eat mango of any kind or any of the Urushiol Oil related foods or products that obviously caused this horrible condition. You have to treat your immune system at the same time you treat topically. I took Echinacea, Lemon balm, and Super Ginseng tinctures internally to boost my immune system. I believe this is essential to the healing process. Good luck everyone.

5. Shannon_A
    February 2, 2014 at 7:44 pm (3 months ago)

Yes, I have this same issue. From what I have researched, the mango and poison ivy plants both give off that same, pesky urushiol oil. I, myself, am severely allergic to poison ivy and was as displeased as yourself over the amount of discomfort and grossness coming into contact with the mango peel gave. Wearing rubber-wash gloves helps and I also rinse the pulp portion in leukwarm water.

6. Kelly
    January 29, 2014 at 2:04 am (3 months ago)

Wooooow this is crazy I thought I was alone!! Mango is also my favorite fruit and I used to always love eating it with the skin and all. For years I would get itchy bump like rash on my hands that always occurred in the summer… even while I was vacationing in DR so I attributed to a heat related reaction. I thought I had it figured out until a year ago when I ate a mango during the winter and broke out. I made a mental note to always peel the skin off since then which has helped… until this past week when I made a mango smoothie with frozen mango. Usually I drank from a straw but didn’t have one that day. I sipped it from the cup and of course my lips got covered in it. Long and behold later that evening had the worst reaction ever from my upper lip to chin, lasted 4 days. Guess I better use a straw next time, I’m not giving up mangos!! Lol. I just stayed indoors and kept the area covered in hydrocortisone to help relieve the itching. Oh and yes when I went to DR I was eating mangos daily, smh.

7. Abby
    January 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm (3 months ago)

****-Most deff. In 2008, my friend had brought a mango to track practice. and everyone tried it bc we never had them before. i so had a bite, including the peel. and NOTHING happened. now i’m pregnant and i was craving a whole mango, including the peel. so I did a bunch of research before i ate it bc i’m pregnant.. and i said you shouldn’t eat the peel bc it has an oil in it that is related to Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. some of them symptoms are abdominal pains, skin rashes, skin puffyness, those itty bitty bumps you get when you have poison ivy(for those who have had it before) and a couple other things. I knew i shouldn’t have ate it but i’m pregnant and was craving it and ate it anyways. I had the mango 2 days ago. and i woke up in the middle of the night last night and the skin on my lips had gotten REALLLLY dry and there were those itty bitty bumps on my upper lip. then when i fell back asleep and woke up again this morning, i had really bad abdominal pains but just in one spot. it lasted like an hour or two. but i heard the best thing to do is wash off your face (if you have those bumps or skin rashes) with soap and water, then put some hydrocortisone on there and it really stops the itchy and swelling. at least it did for me.****
    Hope this helped:)

8. jtdiggy
    January 20, 2014 at 2:40 pm (3 months ago)

Yeah I’ve been there lol, I refer to the mango mouth as merpes though haha.

9. J Reinbold
    November 24, 2013 at 10:11 am (5 months ago)

I’m going through this reaction right now. I had found out about the possibility of it being an allergic reaction last time it happened, and that if you avoid the skin, the fruit could still be eaten safely.
    So, since I LOVE mango, I decided to try again. This time I washed the mango, then removed the fruit from the skin. I put the cut fruit in the fridge for the next morning. However, I couldn’t resist polishing off what was left around the pit hand to mouth. Mind you, all the skin was gone, so I thought I was safe.
    Nope. Same reaction, slightly worse than last time. So now I’m concerned about eating the fruit at all. I’m thinking that maybe the pit got contaminated with sap from the skin, but I’m not going to try again, because this reaction is so annoying.

What a bummer to have to remove a favorite healthy food from my go-to list!!

10. Liz
    October 26, 2013 at 11:33 pm (6 months ago)

I have this EXACT ordeal happening at this very moment. I am at day 3 since the symptoms showed. bumpy around the corners.. tight sensation on my top lip. It feels horrible.. I didnt even want to open my mouth to talk at work! and i work in retail :’(
    When i was 6-8 i had a mango rash on my upper lip.. and then 6 days ago i ate mangos RIGHT OFF THE SKIN. I LOVE mangos… i can’t give them up but I am never going to eat off the peel ever again. I didnt want to go to the doctors so im just using burts bees lip balm until it goes away.

11. Leslie
    October 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm (6 months ago)

funny thing is that when I was a child I never had an allergic reaction to mango,and now that i’m an adult I am allergic to it.It’s painful when the skin around my mouth becomes flaky and irritated,the best thing for me is applying ice and vaseline.I hate it,mango is the best tasting fruit.

12. Lindsey
    September 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm (7 months ago)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this!!! This has happened to me once before in May and I am going through it again RIGHT NOW (ahh!!) but I thought for sure it was my husband bringing the poison ivy juices in from his work on his clothing (he is a landscaper). I thought it was weird that it happened again in the same spot (my poor lips) so I decided to do more researching! I just bought mangos this week and that is when my flare up happened and I look just like that second picture. THANK YOU! I would have kept on eating them not knowing that they were the culprit. How sad… I love mangos.

13. Diane
    September 2, 2013 at 11:22 am (8 months ago)

I am just getting over my terrible reaction to mango. My lower face and upper chin area swelled up (looked like I had the mumps on my right side) with bumps, burning and itching!!..It flaired up on a Saturday and didn’t abate until about the following Wednesday. I put baking soda/water paste on my skin to pull out the heat. I also dipped towels in ice water and put on rash. That felt good but burning started as soon as I stopped. Then I opened Vitamin E tablets and spread them on rash topically. I also used a lot of my Burt’s Bees lip balm each day. Only once did I use Cortizone cream on it for the itching. It worked like a charm but I did not want to use it more than once. I also took one Advil about the third day to help with the swelling which worked well, too.
    I love mango but will stay away from it from now on even though I believe it is only the skin of the mango that caused this.

14. Betsy
    August 12, 2013 at 10:28 am (8 months ago)

I’m experiencing this too. No fun. I’m going to miss mango–especially mango gazpacho and Thai Inspired Confetti Salad with mango instead of papaya.

15. Jamie Burke
    August 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm (9 months ago)

Ug. I’ve been putting tree tea lotion on mine. feels way better.. but bleh.

16. Nick Hodges
    August 5, 2013 at 4:41 am (9 months ago)

I had this rash before and thought somehow I got poison ivy on my face, but when it happened again I was convinced it was a food allergy. My mom kept telling me that it might have been the mango that I ate, but I didn’t want to believe it. Seeing this assures me that I’m not the first person of some new virus.

17. Twilight
    August 4, 2013 at 10:39 am (9 months ago)

I’m sardonically amused by the picture you linked to of the ‘severe’ reaction. You should see my face right now. THAT’S severe. I have mango rash by my eyes, all over my cheeks, around my mouth, behind my ears, on my chin…blah blah blah. Thanks for the doctor/steroid tip. I think that’s a good plan. Thanks for the article in general. Had I known they were similar to poison ivy, I’d have steered clear, because I get poison ivy like this too.

• elle
      August 4, 2013 at 11:09 am (9 months ago)

Oh no!!! You poor thing. Definitely make a trip to the doc – hope you’re feeling better soon!

18. Philip
    July 27, 2013 at 9:43 am (9 months ago)

I am in the middle of this rash! (I thought I am in a middle of wart attach or shingle attack). I knew it was mango. I have to put this in my yearly calendar to remind me. I know it is mango because I got this itchy bump on lip now and I am super allegic to poison ivy. My rash break out like a super rash and it takes 2 weeks to heal on my poison ivy. Now my hands are itchy and my private area, my jock edge, my leg, etc everywhere are itchy! One way to get rid of the itch on your hand is to burn it in hot water (as high of a temp that you can withstand ) until it is gone and it helps. Too bad I cant burn my other limp or body parts. I don’t like to take any medicine so I just have to deal with it.

19. Erika
    July 27, 2013 at 12:22 am (9 months ago)

THANK YOU!!! I’ve been researching and researching this problem I’ve been having — four times since May of this year– and to no avail! The doctor first blamed herpes, then I got a second opinion and it was eczema, which I guess is sort of correct, but it kept coming back! I tried eliminating some foods, some face creams, nothing. But Mangoes! That has to be it. When I was a kid, I got poison ivy rashes constantly, and the doctor told me I was susceptible to it. Now, I’m getting these frustrating itchy rashes around my mouth that can’t be explained…until now, that is. I am so hopeful! I’ve been losing my mind trying to figure this thing out. The relief I feel is immense, and it’s probably pretty evident in my gushing rant right now, but thank you thank you thank you for posting this. I am so glad I put the right words into google to finally stumble upon this.

20. ksg
    July 5, 2013 at 10:05 am (10 months ago)

Yes, unfortunately I am in the middle of experiencing a horrible reaction to what I’m pretty sure is mango. I bought a few at my local Whole Foods as they were on sale and cut one to bring to work for lunch…last Wednesday and Thursday. My reaction didn’t begin until this Tuesday, though. I thought I might have a cold sore coming on, but I hadn’t had one in over 10 years so I though it was odd. The next morning I woke up and my lips were 3x their normal size and felt like they had been hit with sandpaper. It has only gotten worse from there and I now have hives covering my upper neck, ears, lower face and even upper arms. I am not a habitual mango eater and this is the first time I peeled one at home. Benadryl has not been helping that much but applying ice packs feels good. I have a call in to my doctor in hopes of getting a prescription for prednisone. Needless to say, I will never touch/eat mango again…

21. Sg27
    July 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm (10 months ago)

Mango3s have been 5 for $5 at my local whole foods and I’ve been eating them daily for 3 weeks, right off the peel. I was thinking my outbreak was stress related or a fungal or bacterial infection. It’s been awful. The doctor asked me right away if I’d changed anything in my diet in the past 3 weeks, and it’s the mangoes. She told me I could take both claritin and benedryl as they both fight histamines differently and within 3 hours the incredibly uncomfortable itching has subsided, and I hope the sores go away soon. What a relief. I’d never had this problem before, but last fall I got poison ivy on 30% of my body and perhaps that made me more sensitive. Gah. I love mangoes!

22. Marghie
    July 2, 2013 at 5:03 am (10 months ago)

Your post was really helpful! Two or three days ago I ate a mango out of the peel, leaning over the sink and just getting covered in it, and yesterday I began to have little itchy bumps all around my mouth that are driving me crazy! I thought back over what I ate that was unusual, did a google search for “mango allergies” and found this page first. I am normally highly reactive to poison ivy, and found out the hard way that I need to avoid raw cashews (do you know about them?), but didn’t know about mango….. Thank you! I’ll go get out the steroid cream and hope it’s bearable soon!

23. Natalie
    June 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm (10 months ago)

I think this is what’s happening to me now! How long did it take to go away? Is there anything I can do to make it go away faster?

• elle
      June 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm (10 months ago)

I needed a steroid ointment before mine got better!

24. Hot lips
    June 29, 2013 at 8:25 am (10 months ago)

I think I have that right now! I’ve been eating mangoes this week (which I love!) but developed what looks like poison ivy on part of my mouth. I thought they were zits but zit cream did nothing and they oozed clear stuff, just like poison ivy. Good to know, thanks!

25. Jen
    June 22, 2013 at 7:59 am (10 months ago)

I know this is an old post but I am so thankful i found it!!! i had no idea what the heck was going on with my mouth until I read this….this is exactly what I have! thank you so much for posting this – Im mildly less freaked out now lol.

26. Linda
    June 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm (10 months ago)

Like you, I love mango. And I like to eat mango from the skin once scored. I have noted tingling before but nothing more until February. My lips were very sore, blisttered and more. At first I thought allergy but when it didn’t settle down I decided I had sun burnt my lips — i was in Cuba at the time. I tried everything including some steroid cream I had. Only this weekend someone coincidentally told me about mango mouth. I now understood!! I googled mango mouth and found you. Thanks for posting.

27. Sandy
    June 12, 2013 at 9:47 am (11 months ago)

OMG! Thank you so much for this post! With mango season in full tilt right now and the trees full of them (I live where they grow), I’ve been eating mangos like a maniac, 2-3 per day. No problem. But 2 days ago I happened to get a piece of peel in my mouth (I too just eat them quartered and off the skin) and now my lips and corners of my mouth are a mess. I’m so glad to know it’s the peel as it would kill me to give up mangos. But boy do they burn and itch, even my face is starting to itch. I guess I will have to slice them off the skin or find other methods to consume them. Again, thanks for the post!

28. Ana
    April 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm (12 months ago)

I’ve having the same reaction when I eat Mangoes. These are one of my favorites too! They are just so yummy!
    Even though I get this from time to time, I get tempted when I see a full box of them at the grocery store, all yellow and beautifully ripened! But every time, same reaction.. I didn’t know what it was until now! …my Mom did tell me before that it could be an allergic reaction, but I dismissed it as I did not want to believe it!
    I also noticed that this happened when I ate fresh Mangoes compared to the pre-cut, frozen Mangoes I sometimes buy.
    This explains so much!

29. Karen
    March 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm (1 year ago)

Halleghluha!!!! Omg my son has had this horrible rash we thought was impetego and he has been eating mangos all week! I’m not kidding!!

30. brianna
    March 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm (1 year ago)

Add me to the list too! Make sure to look at lip balms if you use those. I got a great “lip butter” one a year or so ago and they had changed the formula to include Mango butter. Doh. Talk about itchy lips….

31. Candyce
    February 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm (1 year ago)

This is exactly what has happened to me, now twice. The first time was in the summer and I like you, sucked the “meat” out of the shell as if I was eating an artichoke. The next day, I thought I had sun poisoning. Two days ago, same thing and then realized, it had to be the mango! GRRRRRRRRRRRR! My lips are puffy, been taking benadryl.

• Candyce
      March 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm (1 year ago)

Just an update. The day after I wrote the comment above, I was taken to the ER. My lips and face blew up. “poison ivy” all over my lips. i was put on prednisone and benadryl. Also given an injection to get it into my system faster. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

32. rebecca
    January 19, 2013 at 11:59 am (1 year ago)

OMG!!! This is exactly whats going on with me now. I woke up the other day with 2 red patches coming out of the corners of my mouth. So I started putting Hydrocortizone one them. Next day, I woke up with swollen lips with little bumps all over. Then I started getting irritation on the left side of my face. Last night I started getting bumps all over my left eye. I honestly thought it was fever blisters. My mom thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something. I know that I didn’t eat anything “new” so I changed all my facial products, and toothpaste. So while sitting here this morning, all itchy. I Googled “tiny bumps on lip” it brought me to a forum and someone mentioned a reaction to Mango’s. So I Googled that, and sure enough everything matched with what I’m going through, and I remembered I ate a Mango the other day. It was only half ripe, and I didn’t want to wait anymore so I peeled it, and ate it. From now on, I will make sure that it’s fully riped, and I will have someone else cut it up for me. But I’ve been taking Benedryl, and using Hydrocortizone so hopefully it will clear up within the next few days.

• donald
      June 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm (11 months ago)

im just figuring out that this last few days i have mango mouth it started as white bumps on my lips so i tryd to hide it with facial hair 3 days later ( dismorning ) my left eye is swollen lips got worse ears hot and ichy an a few bad red patches i used blistex for a day or to and it burned what should i use on my lips

33. Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well
    November 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm (1 year ago)

I have this terrible allergy too!! I blogged about it here: http://lovelaughlivewell.blogspot.com/2011/05/mango-allergy-fruit-that-destroyed-my.html Have you had any since then? I had it once or twice (after having someone cut it for me) and still had a reaction although it was much less severe. I was so sad because I was loving on champagne mangoes. It kind of came out of nowhere too because I had ate them before. I’ve read that cashews are also in the same family so now I’m nervous about eating them too. Such a bummer that we have to miss out on this delicious fruit!

• elle
      November 19, 2012 at 6:55 pm (1 year ago)

Sad! Mango was my new favorite fruit up until I realized I was allergic and it also came out of nowhere over the course of a year. I’ve had it accidentally once in a salad (I didn’t touch it to my lips or contact the peel so I went with it) but the itchy face and swelling started within a couple of hours. I also had a mango mochi ball from Trader Joes (also one of my favorite treats) and woke up with swollen lips! :( I did have allergy testing done to confirm it wasn’t going to end me up in the ER and it was diagnosed as contact dermatitis allergy. At least we’re not alone!

34. Mark Middleton
    November 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm (1 year ago)

When I was in Kuwait before our deployment to Iraq in the Army I ate a large mango they had there, and I guess I was a really sloppy eater, because a day or two later my face swelled up, one of my eyes was almost completely swollen closed. I basically looked like a boxer who had gotten beaten in a fight. I had all these yellow flakes peeling off my face, it was awful. The only good thing is that I got a couple of days bed rest and missed some time at the firing ranges in the 90 degree heat. If I could figure out how to post one of the photos I have I would.

• Mark Middleton
      November 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm (1 year ago)

At the time the Army doctors thought it was a staph infection from it being windy and sandy and that it possibly cut my face and infected it. But I had had similar reactions before and realized it happend only when I ate mango, and not everytime, and i’m perfectly fine drinking mango juice, and eating pieces of it by accident, its only when I come in contact with the skin.

35. Susan
    November 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm (1 year ago)

After reading about your allergies it will certainly make me view my own allergies a lot differently now. I have come to realize that I have developed allergies to certain substances and I am not very happy to make that discovery especially since one of the items is an ingredient used in acrylic paints. I love dabbling in painting to reduce my stress levels and have converted the small spare room into a painting room. Problem is a few minutes after I enter the room I am attacked by bouts of sneezing, my eyes start watering, and I have to leave the room. I thought ventilating the room would work and am disappointed to realize that it is not very effective. Looks like I will have to learn to just live with it or give it up. I think I will go with the former. Thanks for sharing your experience with allergies. Allergic Reaction

36. Justin
    October 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm (2 years ago)

Hey,

I have been recently diagnosed with the same thing. I saw my doctor today because these bumps on my lips started to appear… they feel tingley and itchy but this happens sporadically but there is no pain which is good. My doctor ruled out herpes on the spot so I was totally relieved, anyway he suggested I take a long acting non-drousy allergy medicine such as zyrtec. I guess the only thing to do now is wait it out, but I was wondering how long this typically lasts.

Let me know,
    Thanks

37. Thomas
    October 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm (2 years ago)

I thought I had herpes for the last few days! I have never had a cold sore in my life and the rash was spreading and itchy as hell. I basically dug my entire mouth into a mango and much of it was still on the skin. I’m nearly positive that it was the fresh mango and not the ugly thing I thought it was! Yes!

38. Deborah
    September 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been searching like crazy to find out what could be causing this rash, and through google came across your blog. The pictures you posted, as well as the description, is it exactly! And I’ve just recently started eating mangos about two weeks ago (they quickly became my new favorite fruit). Not only would I eat it down to the skin, but I would suck on the pit. No more! That’s a bummer, but the itchy sore lips are not fun. Any idea on how long it will take to start to clear up?

39. Cari Fox
    May 9, 2012 at 10:06 am (2 years ago)

Just got diagnosed yesterday. I’m on a 14 day oral Prednisone taper. What a crazy thing! Sad times indeed – I LOVE mangos! Not sure if I’ll work up the courage to eat them again. Thanks for your post, its somewhat comforting to know that I am not alone!!

• elle
      May 9, 2012 at 11:06 am (2 years ago)

Sad! Happy my experience helped you figure out your allergy though. I almost bought a mango yesterday for my fiancé to cut for me but decided against it since I’m on vacation… Maybe I’ll have the courage soon :)

40. Stefani
    January 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm (2 years ago)

I’m allergic to all pit fruits…. peaches, apricots, plums, cherries… even raw almonds (which are related to the peach pit). And of course, mango. It was in something I ate one time, and while I didn’t react like you, my chin did go numb, and my lips buzzed!

41. Laura Walls
    January 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm (2 years ago)

Hey Elle! It is funny you should mention this. Mango is the only thing I’ve found that I’m allergic to….other than poison ivy. I got really bad mango mouth in Hawaii on a family vacation. Thankfully, I was in elementary school so I wasn’t self conscious enough at that time to be embarrassed by the rash. I’m glad yours is feeling better :)

• elle
      January 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm (2 years ago)

Oh the days of not being publicly aware… Weren’t they wonderful?

42. Cynthia Matar
    January 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Elle,

I have this same allergy to mango. In fact, I was first exposed to poison ivy and had zero reaction. The second time I was ‘exposed’ to poison ivy was when I picked a mango off of my family’s tree in the backyard. It took us a while to find out why I had gotten hives EVERYWHERE when I had been in contact with the ivy exactly 21 days earlier (my friends all broke out in the hives that very night of contact and I was the only one left unharmed). I went to a dermatologist and the first thing he asked me was if I had been in contact with mango in those last 21 days. Mango is also my favorite fruit, but the allergy is not the end of the world because I can still eat mango all I want. I just can’t touch the skin, like you said. No more mango tree picking for me.

Separate from the poison ivy/mango allergies I have, I also have a very common food allergy to a lot of different fruits. I can’t eat apples, pears, peaches, plums, cherries, and a couple more I can’t think of right now, without my mouth, throat, and neck getting tingly and itchy. And I adore all of these fruits! GRRRRR! I developed this multi-fruit allergy when I was 11 or 12 years old and have been on allergy medicine regularly from an allergist to combat some of the itchiness I feel when I eat them. The interesting thing about this allergy is the fact that I can still eat apple pie, apple sauce, peach pie, etc. When you heat the fruit and cook it (pie, cobbler, etc) the heat destroys some of the chemical bonds in the fruit that are responsible for my allergies. That is to say, if I realllllllllllly wanted an apple, I could technically put it in the microwave for a minute or two. That’s gross and I’ve only tried it once, but it does work!

-Cynthia

• elle
      January 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm (2 years ago)

Allergies are so strange. Sounds like I had it easy trying to pinpoint what caused my reaction. Thanks for sharing your story!

43. Bridget
    January 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm (2 years ago)

Well, looks like we know what’s wrong with all those chicks on the Real Housewives…….they eat too much mango……….

• elle
      January 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Hahahaha so true.